////

Washing your Makeup Brushes.

Just bought a new cosmetic brush? Or your foundation brush is looking a little worse for wear? This is where washing your brushes come into play (: You can save so much from purchasing a brand new brush just by making sure you clean your brushes regularly! This helps maintain the shape and quality of the brushes.


Dirty brushes ):

If you have browsed through this website, you may have noticed on the Brush Guard Spree page, I enabled a youtube video from Michelle Phan titled: Squeaky Clean Brushes! In that video she explains how the Brush Guard is important in maintaining and keeping your makeup brushes clean. You can follow how she using a hand wash/dish wash to clean your brushes, but you can also use facial gels too!

First of all, instead of antibacterial dish washing soap and extra virgin olive oil that she uses in the video, I wash my brushes with The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash.



I consulted with the Body Shop sales assistant on cleaning the mineral foundation kabuki brush and she recommended me the Tea Tree Facial Wash. But she did tell me any facial wash in gel form, not cream and has antibacterial properties would do too. I didn't have any with me at that time so I picked it up along with my new cosmetic brushes.

Here is how I wash my dirty brushes step by step:
I would first wet the tips of the brushes [where most of the makeup pigments are]


Then I'll pour a sufficient amount of Tea Tree Facial wash on to my hand grab a brush and stir/move the brush back and forth on my palm.


I usually continue when this motion until the brushes get foamy or when I see most of the makeup pigments getting removed while I was wiping the brush on my palm.)


Next, I wash the brushes under running water. I wipe the brush on my palm in a back and forth/circular motion and stop doing so when the water is clear.
I'm a little paranoid so I double check if all the soap has been rinsed out but lightly squeezing the brushes dry and swiping the brushes back and forth on my arm. If I see any soapy foam, I'll re-wash it a little while more. If it is clear, you are good to go!


Finally! After washing your dirty brushes and ensuring they are all clean and soap free, you can let them air dry! This is where the brush guard comes into play!
With the Brush Guard you are able to dry your cosmetic brushes with the bristles facing downwards. This way, the water from washing you brushes will not loosen the glue holding the bristles together!
I usually leave my brushes to dry in a container/ a cup for a couple of days (depending on how dense your brushes are) and it's ready to be used again!


This is how I dry my cosmetic brushes (:


The reason why you should also use the Brush Guard is because some of the denser/ thicker brushes you own may have longer bristles that you may want to keep in shape.
But you wouldn't want to dry them upright, this would only loosen the glue holding the bristles together.

A denser brush that I own.


You might be thinking, how about drying them sideways? Sure you can do that but for my kabuki powder brush I'm worried some water would still be trapped inside and imagine all the dirt and dust which my collect on the bristles as you dry them sideways!!!


Thus the Brush Guard to the rescue! All you have to do is slowly slide the brush guard from the handle all the way to the bristles. I usually push it beyond the brushes' bristles about 1/2 inch will do.
Leave your brushes in a cup/container in an upright position to dry! It is as simple as that!

Clean brush ready to be used! :D
Keep your expensive brushes in mint condition with the Brush Guard! 
Come spree with ARDOUR Spree :D


----
A somewhat lengthy post :X The next post would be either cosmetic or beauty product review!
Isabel | ARDOUR Spree

0 Comments

Add Comment

    Post a Comment